Thursday, June 30, 2011

Open-Faced Tomato Grilled Cheese

I tore this recipe out of a food network magazine a few weeks ago because it looked simple, and I already had all the ingredients at home...minus the bread. This picture doesn't do this grown up sandwhich justice, it was so good. And this picture is only a 1/4 of what was made. It was way too big for just Kevin and I, so I may not use all of the bread next time. It would be great for a large crowd too if you wanted to serve small sections of it.






You will need:


-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil


- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (I used more)


-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes


-kosher salt


-1 baguette (I used an italian baguette bread found in the bakery)


-1 large clove garlic, halved


-2 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick


-1 package sliced provolone cheese


*Preheat grill to medium high heat...Kevin did this for me b/c I still don't know how to turn on the grill


*Combine olive oil, oregano, red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt into a small bowl.


*Brush cut sides of the baguette with some of the oil


*Grill baguette, cut side down, until toasted about 3-4 minutes....watch it so it doesn't burn!


*Take baguette off and rub the grilled sides with the garlic. Top with the tomato slices, season with salt and cover with provolone slices.


*Grill, COVERED, until the cheese melts, 3-5 minutes. Drizzle with remaining oil and cut into pieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment