Monday, January 21, 2013

Taco Pizza

Here's a combination of two of my favorites, pizza and mexican food!  I found this recipe on life-as-a-lofthouse.blogspot.com and have already made it several times.  Once again, Kevin being the pizza nazi he is, was not too thrilled when I told him we were having taco pizza for dinner.  "Taco...pizza....really?", he said.  But I had faith in it that it would be good, and I was right, it was a hit for the whole family!  Kevin loved it, and even our picky eater Hunter was a fan.  So..... maybe he learned to think outside the culinary box a little bit:)  
The first time I made this I realized that instead of getting regular refried beans, I had accidentally picked up a can of refried black beans (didn't even know they made these, so I was pretty surprised when I got home).  I decided to go ahead and try it with the black beans, and after making it with both types now, I honestly think I prefer the black beans....probably a little healthier too.  We also omitted the olives in the original recipe....we just don't like them, plain and simple.  You can serve this with sour cream and guacamole and tortilla chips, or alone with a side salad.  And, to my surprise, it was very good re-heated the next day for leftovers.  

Taco Pizza
adapted from Life-as-a-Lofthouse
You will need:
-one pound ground beef
-one envelope taco seasoning (I used low sodium)
-one (11oz.) can refrigerated pizza dough (I used Pillsbury, thin crust)
-one can refried beans (regular, or black beans)
-2 cups shredded cheese (I used colby jack)
-1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
-4 green onions, chopped
-sliced black olives (optional)
*Preheat oven to 375.  Line a cookie sheet with non stick foil, (wrap foil around edges of cookie sheet, so it is fully covered).
*Brown ground beef over med-high heat until no longer pink and drain.  Return to skillet and add taco seasoning.  Cook according to taco seasoning packaging for a few minutes.  
*Unroll pizza dough over cookie sheet.  Press dough over bottom and up the sides of the cookie sheet.
*Bake pizza dough for 9-10 minutes and remove from oven.
*Place refried beans in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for one minute.  Stir well, then spread beans evenly over top of warm pizza crust
*Top with ground beef, sprinkle the cheese, and add tomatoes, green onions, and olives.
*Bake for an additional 6-7 minutes until cheese is melted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment