Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef

First off, don't pay any attention to this mediocre picture.  Photography is not a strength of mine.....and these days I usually am racing around the kitchen with Harper glued to my leg, so I'm doing good if I remember to snap a picture with my phone!  That said, despite the less than appealing picture, this is quite delicious!  This is easily one of our top favorite new meals!  The whole family liked this....kids included!  I decided to add some red pepper flakes to give it a little kick and it was perfect (not too sweet or spicy), and served it over rice.  Also, instead of using a flank steak, I used beef stir fry meat.  Only because it was on sale.....AND.....it was already sliced and ready to go!  It worked great, but I'm sure a flank steak would be perfect too!

recipe found and adapted from The Recipe Critic 

You will need:
-1 1/2 pounds flank steak (or see above note)
-1/4 cup cornstarch
-2 Tablespoons olive oil
-1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
-3/4 cups soy sauce (I used low sodium)
-3/4 cups water
-3/4 cups brown sugar
-1 cup grated carrots (I used the pre-shredded carrots in a bag)
-1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes if desired
-sliced green onions

*Cut flank steak into thin strips.  In a ziploc bag, add flank steak strips and cornstarch.  Shake to coat.
*Add olive oil, minced garlic, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, and carrots to slow cooker.  Stir ingredients well.
*Add coated flank steak to slow cooker and stir again, until coated in the sauce.  
*Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours (I opted on low for 5 hours).  Stir well again before serving.
*Serve over rice and top with green onions.

1 comment: