Sunday, June 13, 2010

Tuna-Noodle Casserole

This is a recipe I got from my step-mom, who I think got it from an old Betty Crocker book? I remember she used to make this every few weeks, and it was the one meal I always looked forward to being there for. Talk about comfort food. This has become one of Kevin and the kids favorites now too. For those that aren't big fans of tuna...believe me, just try it....this beats out chicken spaghetti in my book. The best part about this dish is that it almost tastes better when heated up the next day so leftovers are easy!


Tuna Noodle Casserole

You will need:
-6 oz (3 1/2 cups) medium egg noodles ** I usually use a little over 1/2 a bag
-1 large can tuna in water ** I use chunk light
-1/2 cup mayonnaise
-1 cup sliced celery
-1/3 cup chopped onion
-1/4 cup diced green pepper
-1/4 cup chopped pimiento ** I use a the small jar of already chopped pimientos, drained
-1 tsp salt
-1 can cream of celery soup
-1/2 cup milk
-1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese *plus more for topping casserole if desired, because everything is better with cheese on top according to our family

-Cook noodles in boiling salted water until done and drain. Combine noodles, drained tuna, mayo, vegetables, and salt. **I adjust the mayo sometimes depending on how many noodles I use, you may need to add a little more than 1/2 cup to make it creamier.

-In a separate sauce pan, Stir soup and milk and heat through. Add cheese; heat and stir until cheese melts. Add to noodle mixture. Turn into a lightly greased casserole dish. Add more cheese on top if desired. Bake at 425 about 20 minutes. Enjoy!

It also freezes well too, just wrap it well before storing it, and before baking allow it to thaw on the counter for about 30 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment