Friday, October 29, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup

So, the last few weeks I've had this craving for a big bowl of tortilla soup. I'm not really that big of a "soup" person, but I do love some yummy tortilla soup. I searched several different sites and finally found one off of Southern Living (from a 1998 article) that looked easy and quick enough. I changed it up a little, and did a crock pot version, and let me just say that this will FOR SURE be one of my favorite recipes, it was SO GOOD. I can't stress to you enough how quick and easy this was....with so much flavor! I'm not big on leftovers, and I devoured the rest of it for lunch the next day....almost better heated up!

I played it safe with the spices b/c the kids were eating too, but you could definitely kick it up a notch if you want. When I make it again I think I will add some black beans and cilantro, lots of possibilities. The recipe called for baked corn tortilla strips to garnish, so I went ahead and tried them. They were easy enough, but honestly I think a few crushed tortilla chips on top would work just as well, and be just as tasty! We topped ours with shredded Mexican cheese....so good!


Chicken Tortilla Soup

You will need:
-rotisserie chicken, shredded (I used almost the whole thing)
*you could boil your own chicken, but this is so much easier and flavorful
-2 cups frozen corn, thawed
-1 onion chopped
-1 1/2 tsp minced garlic ( I buy the pre-minced garlic in the jar)
-2 cans chicken broth
-1 can tomato sauce
-1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
-1 tsp salt
-2 tsp cumin
-1 tsp chili powder
-1/8 tsp ground red pepper ( I just sprinkled in a little)
-1/8 tsp black pepper
-1 bay leaf
-1/2 cup water

*Combine everything into your slow cooker and stir. Cover and set on high for 3-4 hours. Warm until ready to serve.....Make sure to take out the bay leaf before serving!

*For tortilla strips: Pre heat oven to 375. Cut 4 corn tortillas into strips and arrange on foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 5min. Stir around and bake for 5 more minutes or until crisp. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment