Saturday, January 7, 2012

Easy Breakfast Casserole

I'm taking advantage of this beautiful day to sit outside and catch up on my blogging while the kids play! I found this easy breakfast casserole recipe on pinterest and made this for breakfast Christmas morning. I've done a casserole for breakfast the last several years for Christmas, mostly because you can make them ahead of time the night before....I love the fact that you can go to bed knowing that all you have to do in the morning is pop it in the oven! The recipe I usually use calls for a layer of white bread on the bottom. Kevin informed me this year that he has never liked it because it's too "bready". Really? Good to know I guess after so many years! When I saw this recipe, I knew I wanted to try it....it's so easy to prepare and calls for very few ingredients. The only change I made is that I added about a teaspoon of dry mustard to the egg mixture. All the other egg casseroles I've made have called for this, and I had it in the pantry...so, I added it! We also served it with a little bit of salsa to give it an extra kick. This will definitely be a regular dish on our weekend breakfast menu from now on...maybe even dinner too!




sorry for the not so flattering picture...it was almost half gone before I remembered to snap a picture




Easy Breakfast Casserole


You will need:


-1 package crescent rolls


-1 lb mild ground sausage, browned and drained


-6 eggs, beaten


-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese ( I used sharp cheddar)


-1 tsp dry mustard (if you don't have this, don't worry...but I think it makes it better)


*Preheat the oven to 350 and spray a 9x13 inch dish with cooking spray


*Roll out package of crescent rolls and place on bottom of baking dish


*Top crescent rolls with an even layer of browned and drained sausage


*Beat the eggs together along with dry mustard and pour evenly over sausage


*Top with cheese (believe it or not, I don't think I used the entire 2 cups of cheese...it seemed like too much to me, but you be the judge!)
*Bake at 350 for 30 minutes




*This can be made right away, or like I do, the night before. Just keep it in the fridge and take it out about 15 minutes to sit on the counter before putting it in the oven to bake



No comments:

Post a Comment