Sunday, March 25, 2012

Oreo Layer Dessert....Until I think of a better name!

I made this today for our crawfish boil and it was a crowd pleaser! I found this recipe on pinterest, of course, and it's just called an oreo layer dessert....so until I think of a better name (which I think it deserves), I will call it that. This is one of those desserts I would classify as dangerous. It's dangerous because it's a real light and airy dessert; as in you don't feel totally stuffed after you eat it; as in you will probably find yourself going back later to get seconds (or thirds), if you're like me. Dangerous. For some strange reason this dish reminded me of banana pudding. But chocolate. And without bananas. I think it was the pudding and fluffy cool whip mixture that reminded me of it. Make sure to let the cream cheese soften on the counter for a while before you are ready to start. Also, you can make the chocolate pudding beforehand and let it set up in the fridge, that way it's ready to go when you start layering. This is the perfect spring/summertime dessert. Hope you enjoy!


Oreo Layer Dessert
You will need:
-1 package regular oreos
-1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
-1 large box instant chocolate pudding (I used JELLO brand, I believe 6 1/2 serving size)
-2 1/2 cups milk
-2 (8oz) containers of cool whip
-8oz cream cheese, softened
-1 cup powdered sugar
*Crush the whole package of Oreos until they are coarse crumbs (don't get them too fine). I used my food processor for this or you can put them in a ziploc bag and use a rolling pin. Save 1/2 cup of the crumbs to sprinkle on top of dessert when you are done
*Pour remaining crumbs into a 13x9 inch dish. Melt butter and pour over crumbs in dish. Stir around with a spoon and then use your hands to press crumbs into the bottom of the dish to make a crust.
*Make chocolate pudding by mixing 2 1/2 cups of milk with pudding mix with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. (I used my whisk attachment on my mixer). Set in the fridge to let pudding firm up for a few minutes. You can always make pudding ahead of time, that way it will be ready to go already
*In a mixing bowl beat softened cream cheese until its smooth, then add 1 cup powdered sugar and beat until incorporated. Fold in 1 container of cool whip to cream cheese mixture.
*Now you're ready to layer: top oreo crumb crust with cream cheese mixture, then chocolate pudding, then the remaining container of cool whip. Sprinkle 1/2 cup remaining oreos on top. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment