Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Firehouse Spaghetti

 
Firehouse spaghetti....it's our new favorite casserole.  It's kind of like chicken spaghetti, but spicy....and with beef, not chicken!  I got this recipe from my co-worker Jenny, who likes to cook like I do, and who described this dish as "man food".  Well, my man was sure happy with this recipe.  So was my little man!  Hunter has "casserole issues" sometimes and doesn't like things mixed together, but I told him that this is what the firemen eat, and he gobbled it right up.  I'm sure at one point a real fireman has eaten firehouse spaghetti, so technically it might not be a lie? 
 I used the original rotel flavors, and it gave it a nice kick....not too spicy for the kids though.  If you want is less spicy, use the mild rotel.  It also calls for 2 containers of Old English Sharp Cheddar Cheese, but you can easily interchange this for cheese whiz.  I used one container of Old English, and half a jar of cheese whiz. 
 
You will need:
-12 oz spaghetti noodles
-1 lb. ground beef
-2 cans rotel
-2 containers Old English Sharp Cheddar Cheese (I found it by the cheese whiz)
-2 cans cream of mushroom soup
-onion
-garlic (I didn't measure the onion or garlic, just finely chopped a little of each)
-shredded cheddar cheese (if desired for topping)
 
*Preheat oven to 350.  Spray a 13x9 inch dish with cooking spray
*Brown ground beef, along with garlic and onion in a large skillet.  Drain fat from the beef and return to the skillet
*Meanwhile, cook spaghetti noodles according to directions (I always save a little pasta water before you drain the noodles, in case you need to add more liquid to the pasta)
*Add rotel, cheese, and cream of mushroom soup to the beef mixture in skillet and heat over med-low heat just to melt the cheese and soup a bit.
*In a large bowl place cooked spaghetti noodles.  Pour beef mixture on top of noodles and mix well.  You can add a little of the reserved pasta water if you need to thin it out. 
*Pour mixture into baking dish and sprinkle on extra cheese if desired.
*Bake for 20-25 minutes. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment